Saturday, October 8, 2011

When I Grow Up . . .

Have you ever thought about what you want to be when you grow up? Or have you ever thought about what you want to be now that you are supposedly already grown up? I always wanted to get married and be a mom. So I did. Now what am I supposed to do? What is my purpose for what many call that second half of life?
In reading everything I can get my hands on and praying about it a lot, I’ve discovered a strong desire to write and eventually speak to women. What are my qualifications? Well, I love whoever it was that said, “God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.” That’s my motto, and I’m sticking to it.
So I’m writing a book. It’s actually been in the works for several years, but now that I'm in that second half of life, I've gotten serious about finishing it. What’s it about? Prayer. In one sentence: Prayer Pearls - After “Dear God,” What’s Next? provides a guide to starting your conversations with God when you don't know what to say. Have you ever found yourself praying one of these prayers?
Dear God, “I don’t know where to start. I’m exhausted.”
Dear God, “I blew it again. I’ve really messed up this time.”
Dear God, “I really WANT to spend more time with you.”
Dear God, “I’m so sorry. Please fix this.”
Dear God, “Are you there? Are you listening?”
Dear God, “I should have come to you first. Why do I wait until I’ve tried it on my own before bringing it to you?”
Dear God, “Why? It’s not fair!”
What are your Dear God prayers when you don’t know what to say? How do you pray, and where do you start when you are at a loss for words? I hear more and more from women that they want to pray, but they are looking for a way to get started.
The Catholic Faith uses rosary beads for prayer. Not being raised in the Catholic faith, I’ve often wondered how nice it might be to pick up prayer beads and know exactly what to say. While the rosary may direct your thoughts to Christ and his life and death, our relationship with God is more personal than just repetitive prayers. We were designed for a relationship with God. We were made to worship Him and for His pleasure.
Christ said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Considering this principle in relation to prayer gave me the beginning idea for this book about Prayer Pearls. These are pearls which can be metaphorically picked up and used not as repetitive prayers but as a tool to remind us where to start in giving our prayers to God. The acronym PEARL is represented by five different colors and guides us in starting our conversations with God. These are the Prayers Pearls that answer the question, After “Dear God,” What’s Next?
Let me know if this captures your attention. Give me your thoughts on prayer, and let me know if you have these same struggles.

1 comment:

  1. I never know how to pray-I just usually end up babbling until I am done. I know I get what I want across, but it takes a minute for me to get there I guess. (Hope that makes sense)

    ReplyDelete