Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Centerpiece

Last week I finished reading the book The Resolution for Women written by Priscilla Shirer in conjunction with the movie Courageous, so I guess my New Year’s Resolutions should be the resolutions in the book.  In a way I guess they will be. If you want to know what those are, read the book.  J  But I also have a list of goals I was already working on broken down into 7 categories: Physical, Spiritual, Financial, Relational, Home, Work, Ministry.  I like the process of setting goals and starting fresh every year. I would like to resolve to lose 20 pounds. I think every year I lose 20 pounds and then find them again. Sometimes I do this twice in the same year. I should probably lose these 20 pounds at the end of the year and then resolve not to find them again. But they seem to lurk around every kitchen corner.

This morning our pastor talked about placing Jesus Christ at the center of your life. He said, “Jesus wants to be the centerpiece of your life.”  When I think of a centerpiece, I think of a dining room table.  The centerpieces I use on my table reflect the season of the year.  Winter, Valentine’s, Spring, Easter, Summer, 4th of July, Fall, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. So what is the centerpiece in my life in this particular season of my life?  I’m an empty nester, but I’m still a mom and now a grandma.  I’m a wife.  I’m a sister and a daughter.  I have a career with responsibilities.  I’m trying to finish writing what I hope to be the first of several books.  I’m paying more attention to my physical health and our financial outlook. It doesn’t seem like this season of my life has any one particular theme.  Or does it? What is the one underlying theme in everything I do, or what should it be?

“Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God” (I Corinthians 10:31).

Does the way I take care of my physical body glorify God? Does how I spend my time glorify God? Do the entries on my bank statement glorify God? Do the things I say to my family and the things I do for them glorify God? Does my home glorify God? Does the example I set at work glorify God? Am I following in the path God has for me, so I can glorify Him? If Jesus Christ becomes the centerpiece in my life, every other goal or resolution will fall into place. That is the theme.

While it’s still January 1, I will make my New Year’s Resolution to have one centerpiece in my life for this season and each one to follow, Jesus Christ. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment