Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Tour Guide

Imagine you travel to the jungles of the Amazon or you go on a hiking trip near an active volcano. You probably need a tour guide. While the trips may offer beautiful scenery and exciting experiences, there are also dangers you could encounter.  In order to avoid those dangers, a tour guide is recommended. The tour guide can direct you to the best scenery and the best hiking trails for your ability, but most importantly, they can keep you out of dangerous areas.  At the very least, when you go somewhere new, you probably get some type of brochure with recommendations of things to see and do. You have a choice though. You can listen to the tour guide and follow the recommended plans in your travel brochure, or you can go your own way possibly missing out on the best experiences offered.
Scripture says our citizenship is in heaven and compares us to strangers in a foreign land, so I like to think of this life as a vacation adventure. There are fun things to do, and there are obstacles down certain paths. Some obstacles make us stronger, but some can be detrimental. The only way to know which paths are safest is to get a tour guide.  Jesus is my tour guide, and scripture is my travel brochure. Whichever path He leads me, I don’t need to be afraid. I just need to follow.
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (Psalm 119:105).
“Follow me” (the words of Jesus throughout Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
I invite you to join me on my journey. If Jesus is already your tour guide, why not share Him with someone else.  Someday when this trip is over and we or someone we love leaves this journey, stop and remember how nice it is when you get back from a vacation. Trips are fun, but we are always ready to “go home”. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment