Wednesday, April 4, 2012

TV versus Books

Earlier this week I heard a coworker ask another coworker if they had seen a certain reality show the night before.  She wanted to know what the other person’s opinion was of who was voted off the show. She was very animated and excited about it. I had been reading during lunch, and for some reason it strongly hit me, “Why aren’t we that excited about the books we read?” I had just finished a great part of a book I’m reading, Quit Going to Church, by Bob Hostetler. It made me want to say, “Hey, what did you think of the analogy Bob used about being nice?”  But, of course, I don’t know anyone else reading this book.

I read a lot of non-fiction and would love to discuss some of the things I’m reading in the same way others discuss TV shows they are watching. I thought maybe I should start a book club, but I don’t want to be on everyone else’s schedule for reading. Then I realized that instead of asking, “What did you think of that book,” we should really be saying, “Hey, I read this passage in God’s Word last night that really touched me. What have you been reading lately, and how has God spoken to you?”  But, of course, others would become uncomfortable, including our Christian coworkers. They might feel we were putting them on the spot about their reading of the Bible.

So now my challenge is to feel free to share with others how God is speaking to me in what I’m reading, either without making them feel uncomfortable or not worrying about it.  As Bob Hostetler says in Chapter 7, “Quit Being Nice.” You need to read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment