Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Acknowledge that Calorie

The subject of the email read: “Diet Contest, Must Lose Minimum10% of Body Weight”. I could lose 10% easily. Well, okay, maybe not easily, but I definitely had 10% to lose. I’ve been told I’m competitive; and it’s true, I like to win. Count me in for $20.
For the next 12 weeks I acknowledged every calorie I ate and every calorie I burned. I had a purpose, and over the next several years I won not only that diet contest, but almost every annual and bi-annual diet contest we had at work. You may be thinking I had a lot of weight to lose, but the truth is that most of the time I lost the same weight over and over. Why?
After the contests were over, I would begin to ignore the calories in that one cookie or ignore that one morning I had donuts (each week). I ignored how many chips I ate at the Mexican restaurant, and I definitely began to ignore my treadmill and other exercises I had so consistently acknowledged during the contests.
During the contests I acknowledged the truth of the food I put into my body and the exercise that took the fat out of my body. After winning I ignored that truth; and by ignoring it, in reality I was denying what was best for my body.
            An important part of prayer is acknowledging God. To acknowledge is to admit, recognize, accept, or confess. First and foremost, before anything else, there are four things we must acknowledge.
1.      We must acknowledge (admit) we are sinners. Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned.
2.      We must acknowledge (recognize) the consequences of sin. Romans 6:23 says the consequence of sin is death, but God has a gift for us through Jesus Christ.
3.      We must acknowledge (accept) Jesus Christ and His redemptive work. Romans 5:8 explains the gift of God’s love by Jesus Christ dying for our sins.
4.      We must acknowledge (confess) Jesus Christ as our personal Savior and Lord. Romans 10:9-10 tells us salvation comes from believing in His resurrection and confessing Jesus as Lord.
Satan knows about sin, he knows the consequences, and he knows what Jesus accomplished through His death. He believes in God. The key is in also acknowledging Christ as personal Savior and Lord. James 2:19 says even the demons believe and tremble, but they don’t confess Christ as Lord. Once you acknowledge God by admitting your sin, recognizing the consequences, accepting Christ’s payment for your sin, and also confessing Him as Lord, you receive salvation and are sealed as a child of God.
            I pray you have acknowledged these four things in your life. In prayer we praise God, express our thanks to God, and acknowledge Him. Stay tuned this weekend for what’s next.


No comments:

Post a Comment