Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thanks or No Thanks

I have written and received many thank you notes over the years. Thank you notes are written for birthday gifts, graduation gifts, shower gifts, wedding gifts, and housewarming gifts to name a few. Do you think someone that sends a thank you note is more thankful than someone who doesn’t, or is it just etiquette? I don’t believe that whether or not you actually send a thank you note determines if you are thankful; however, the act of writing the note requires you to stop and recognize the other person’s kindness. It takes the emotion of thankfulness one step further into an action. It also strengthens the relationship with the other person.
Most of us are thankful for God’s blessings, but to stop and actually take the time to thank Him is an action that strengthens our relationship. I find several correlations between thank you notes and thank you prayers. Many people think the wording of a thank you note must be perfect, and so they never send one; but I have heard it said and agree that an imperfect note written from the heart is better than a perfect note that is never written. The same applies to prayer. An imperfect prayer from the heart is better than a perfect prayer that is never voiced.
            In Luke 17:11-19 Jesus healed ten men, but only one came back and thanked Him. I believe the others were also thankful (how could they not be?), but they didn’t take the time to express their thanks to Jesus. Remembering what God has done for us and expressing our thanks to Him is very important. Our relationship with God grows as we express our thanks to Him.
            Dear God -- Thank you for my health, for my home, for my family’s health, for my husband, my mother, the years I had with my father, my sisters, my daughter, my son, my stepson, my son-in-law, my two grandsons, for my job, for my husband’s job, for my church. I am so very blessed in so many ways, and my blessings come from you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment