Monday, August 6, 2012

Autopilot

Every Monday through Friday and occasionally on Saturday I get in my car, pull out of the driveway onto the street, and turn left to go to work. Every Sunday morning my husband and I get in the car together, pull out of the driveway onto the street, and turn left to go to church. Every time we get in the car to go to the drug store, the mall, the office supply store, the plant store, the doctor, or the veterinarian, we pull out of the driveway onto the street, and we turn left.
Once a week I get in my car, pull out of the driveway onto the street, and turn right to go to the grocery store. Sometimes I get in the car to go to the grocery store, but I automatically turn left instead of right. Part way down the street, I realize my error.
Have you ever gotten in your car to go somewhere and realized you had turned the wrong direction? Sometimes I drive home from work and don’t even remember passing certain landmarks. It’s because I’m on autopilot.
If we aren’t alert, we can also go on autopilot with our prayers. We can pray for the day and go through our lists without really paying attention. Remember to focus and be intentional with your prayer life. Don’t autopilot your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. Great reminder, Donna. I try to avoid autopilot by staying in the moment I'm in -- much easier said than done.
    Gloria Ashby

    ReplyDelete