Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Chicken or Beef

                Today was Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day. My Facebook News Feed was filled with posts about chicken. There were comments and articles listing reasons to support this event and comments and articles listing reasons not to support it. I was surprised by some people that I thought would be supportive that were not and also surprised by some that I thought would not be supportive that were.
                I’m sure that I support businesses every week that do not completely share my views and values. There are probably only a handful of businesses (if that many) that if I really pursued accurate information would I find held similar views as mine in every area. Listening to the media to obtain accurate information is not always best, and many will agree or disagree about the true statements and reasoning behind today’s event.
                Today I chose to eat at Chick-fil-A. My decision was based on both support for Chick-fil-A to be able to express their support for traditional marriage values and at the same time to stand against those that are intolerant of Chick-fil-A’s right to do so.
                As Americans we have freedom of speech, but many times that only seems to apply to those protesting for liberal views and not to those standing for conservative values. It’s okay to disagree with me on this. That is your right.
                If I have offended anyone because I decided to eat chicken today instead of a hamburger or a taco, I am not apologetic. I am also not attacking your right to choose differently, so don’t attack my right to stand by my conservative Christian Biblical values.
                I support traditional marriage between a man and a woman only. I do. No apologies. You don’t have to agree with me. I saw posts today about loving your neighbor whether they are Christian or Jewish or Muslim, black or white or brown, homeless or affluent, and homosexual or heterosexual. I wholeheartedly agree. I believe I am called to love my neighbors including those that are different from me and those that don’t agree with me. I believe that real love is sharing God’s love. Jesus showed God’s perfect love to all, and He also offended those that did not agree with Him.
                As today draws to a close and Chick-fil-A closes for the night, we will find it was not about eating chicken. It was about the right to stand by our convictions. It is time that Christians realize they can stand up for their convictions just like everyone else.  I support no hate or guile, but I do pray for strong Christian convictions to be heard. I pray for a spiritual awakening in America.
                My convictions are not based on what feels good to me or the trend of the times. I strive to keep my beliefs aligned with the Word of God, but don’t take my word for anything. I invite you to read the Bible yourself, but I will warn you. You may get offended. If you do, take it up with God. He wrote the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment