Friday, August 17, 2012

Look at that Rock!

Have you ever heard someone say “look at that rock” when referring to a large diamond someone is wearing? We are impressed by large diamonds. They are expensive and rare. Diamonds are rated based on the 4 C’s: cut, color, clarity, and carat.
I compare diamonds in my physical jewelry box to diamonds of faith in my spiritual jewelry box. These diamonds are founded on the 4 C’s: conviction (of sin), cross (Christ’s payment), confession (understanding), and confidence (in promise of salvation). These 4 C’s are what open our spiritual jewelry box. From there we lay a foundation for life based on our faith in God’s word.
Jesus said those who hear his words but don’t do them are like a foolish man that built his house on the sand. When the rains came, the house fell. He contrasted this with those who hear his words and do them. They are like the wise man that built his house upon the rock. When the rains came, the house stood firm. The foundation was stable. It was founded on the rock.
Our foundation needs to be founded on the rock, the Word of God, His words. Building a strong foundation of faith is like a diamond. It is expensive (it costs your time and effort) and rare (not many are committed).
James 4:17 (ESV) says, “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” I sometimes think more of my sins fall into the category of not doing what I know I should versus doing what I know I shouldn’t. Placing diamonds of faith in my jewelry box gives me the strength to do the right things that I know to do. This also helps me understand when James talks about faith and works. We must first have faith in order to do the good works that we are called to do.
I want people to look at my life and say “look at her rock” referring to the rock of my salvation. I want my faith in Christ to be reflected in how I live life based on His words. I want others to want what I have, so I can share Christ with them.
What about you? How’s that spiritual jewelry box looking?

No comments:

Post a Comment