Friday, August 3, 2012

Tuning Out

            Have you ever tuned someone out when they were talking to you? As soon as my daughter learned to talk, it seemed as though she never stopped. I remember a trip to the shoe store to buy shoes for my son when he was a toddler. My daughter was not quite four years old. Since I wasn’t trying shoes on her, she plopped into the chair next to a man at the store and began talking to him. She gave him her entire life story, all close to four years of it. He didn’t have to say a word. She did all the talking.
            She was always talking to everyone whether they listened or not. Sometimes driving down the road, she would be talking and talking to no one in particular. I became so used to her constant chatter that many times I tuned her out. It wasn’t necessarily a conscious decision to stop listening. I wasn’t unwilling to listen. I would be thinking about other things or listening to the radio and not think I was missing anything important. I’m not worried this will offend her, because I think she is the same way now with her oldest son.
            Sometimes we are like this with God. We drive down the road of life thinking about other things and not really listening for His voice. It’s not that we consciously decide to stop listing. It’s not that we are unwilling to listen. We are thinking about other things and don’t think we are missing anything important.
            Slow down, step on the brake, and listen for what God has to say to you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment