Thursday, September 20, 2012

Road Trip

                Yesterday I read Proverbs 19, and this verse stood out to me. “Cease to hear instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge” (Proverbs 19:27 ESV).
                If I decided to take a road trip from Texas to Wyoming, I would study a map before I left. I would also take that map with me and probably bring along a GPS just in case the map wasn’t clear in certain areas. With the map, the GPS, the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, and the directional indicator on my rearview mirror, I would feel pretty confident in my ability to get to Wyoming.  Every day of my trip, I would check my map and other tools to make sure I was on the right road.
                In life, the Bible is our roadmap. Many of us consult it and then take off on our own without it. This verse says that when we cease to hear instruction, we will stray from the words of knowledge. It’s kind of like turning off that voice on your GPS. First you quit listening to the voice, then you quit looking at the screen, and pretty soon you are lost.
                When we quit studying our road map for life, we quit hearing instruction, and pretty soon we stray from the knowledge needed to make a critical decision at the next crossroad. We have to stay in the word, abiding (living) in it and continuing to learn from it or we will stray off the path God has for us.  We need fresh direction every day.
                Just like a roadmap. Take His word with you on the road trip of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment