Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Happy Holidays

 
Which Holiday?

               



          I have decided to make it a point to tell someone Merry Christmas every day from now through Christmas. My intention is to be friendly, encouraging, and bring to their attention what we celebrate this time of year. I have to be careful, though, not to get legalistic. When someone says Happy Holidays, my response can simply be Merry Christmas. What I really want is to ask, “which holiday, what are you happy about?”
Let’s get specific. Tell me Merry Christmas or tell me Happy Hanukkah, but don’t degrade the time of year by simply making it a holiday for nothing but fun. Pick a holiday to celebrate and be committed. Let’s have fun and be happy and merry for a reason. The reason for this season is Jesus’ birth. If you are celebrating Hanukkah, you are remembering God’s faithfulness in the miracle of the Menorah burning for eight days with only one day’s supply of oil during the rededication of the temple.
                So far this year when I have said Merry Christmas, others have responded, “you too”, “thank you”, “Merry Christmas”, and a couple have given me blank stares or totally ignored me. That’s okay. I just moved on. Remember which holiday you are celebrating, and let others know.
               
Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment