Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Know You


I know you. You live next door to me. I heard you yelling at your children this weekend.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I had a bad day, and they weren’t cooperating.
 
I know you. I saw the way you treated your co-worker at the office today.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. You don’t understand how irritating that person can be and how they have treated me in the past.

I know you. I heard how you spoke to the clerk at the grocery store today.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I know it wasn’t her fault that the lines were long, but you don’t know what I have been through recently. I was exhausted.

I know you. I saw you driving on the freeway today.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I was late for work and everyone else was driving crazy.

I know you. I saw your check register when you dropped your purse.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I’ve been stressed lately. I know our money is tight, but I needed those things I bought to make me feel better.

I know you. I saw you with your friends at a restaurant last night.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I just needed a night out to unwind and forget my troubles.

I know you. I saw you in the car with your husband before you walked into church on Sunday.
You don’t really know me. That isn’t who I am. I woke up late and everything went wrong after that. My husband doesn’t understand. He doesn’t seem to know me either.

“But what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this defiles a person” (Matt. 15:18 ESV).

I know you. Do you really know yourself?

“Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!” (Psalm 139:23).

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment