Thursday, February 28, 2013

Spontaneous Encouragement

                I got an email from a friend today. She saw an ad for a Boot Camp and it reminded her of me because I have done these a couple of times. Her emails are always encouraging and make me smile. I thought about the emails I randomly get from her and realized that while she is spontaneous, she uses that as an encouragement to others. When something reminds her of someone, she acts on that thought and lets them know. Whether she realizes it or not, she is an encouragement to others.
                How many times a day does something remind me of someone else, and then it becomes a fleeting thought as I let it go and move on to something else. How many times have I thought someone looked extra nice but not taken the time to tell them? How many times has someone looked upset or concerned, yet I just passed on by because I really didn’t have time to listen?
                In Acts, Peter and John stopped to talk to a lame man begging alms at the temple gate. They had no money to give, but they offered him hope and healing in the name of Jesus. The parable of the Good Samaritan shows a man taking care of another regardless of their differences when he probably didn’t really have time. He could have passed by without condemnation as others did who should have stopped.
                Who has come to your mind this week that you could have encouraged? Make it a point to slow down and encourage one another.
“Therefore encourage one another and build one another up” (I Thess 5:11, ESV).

No comments:

Post a Comment