Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Growing Up

           Yesterday my grandson turned 6. I can’t believe my daughter has a 6 year old son. It seems like only yesterday that she was 6. My grandson is getting so big and changing in so many ways. He doesn’t want to drink milk anymore unless it is chocolate, and he really prefers strawberry. He doesn’t like applesauce and baby foods anymore. His favorite food is now chicken nuggets. It’s also amazing what he is learning and how much more he knows every time I see him.
My grandson knows more than my daughter did at his age. He knows how to play video games, take pictures with a phone, retrieve pictures on the phone, use a DVD player, and how to operate any technology having anything to do with a game or movie. My daughter couldn’t do this at his age. Of course, these things didn’t exist when she was his age. Don’t tell her, but she must be getting old.
When my grandson woke up on his birthday, he was so excited to be 6. He wanted to know if he was a grown up. My daughter told him not yet, and he was disappointed to learn how “old” he would have to be in order to be considered a grown up. But the truth is that many adults that are old enough to be a grown up still aren’t grown up.
This is the same spiritually. Our spiritual age is not an indication of our spiritual maturity. If we neglect growing in God’s Word, we never leave that baby stage. We might not ever make it past chicken nuggets. But when we seek to learn and when we pray, read, study, and begin to discern God’s voice and the truths in His Word, we begin to grow up.
How old are you?
“For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe” (Hebrews 5:12-13).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment