Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Help My Unbelief


In Luke, an angel appeared to Zacharias. The angel told him that his prayer had been heard and his wife would have a son. Zacharias and his wife were advanced in age, but he knew the Old Testament. He knew how Abraham and Sarah had a child in their advanced years, and he also knew all the other miracles God performed.
This message was an answer to his prayers, but instead of exclaiming, “Yes! Thank you, Lord”, Zacharias asked for a sign. Really? I would hope if an angel appeared to tell me God was going to grant something I had requested that would be enough of a sign. But Zacharias was not convinced.
This caused me to wonder. Do we really expect God to answer our prayers? When He does, instead of “I can’t believe it” our response should be “thank you, Lord”. If we are honest, we may not really expect God to answer. Many times we say we want God’s will, even if it’s different than what we are praying for, just to give God an out in case He doesn’t answer the way we want in the timing we want.
I challenge you to believe when you pray and to expect an answer to your prayers. Look for those answers with expectation and anticipation. Ask for a clear no if the answer is no. It could be the answer is wait, but I believe many times wait is also our excuse for not really believing God will answer.
Join me in praying as the man in Mark 9:24, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment