Thursday, May 30, 2013

How to Have More Patience


My son forgot about the project that is due tomorrow for his science class. My daughter volunteered to make cookies for the class party tomorrow and forgot to tell me. My husband just invited guests for dinner, and it’s 4:30. The sales reps at work all decided to wait and turn in their paperwork on the last day of the month. I have deadlines to meet. I’m running behind. Someone decided to have a wreck on the highway, and now I’m going to be late to work. Every other row on the plane has a crying baby, and this is a three hour flight. I’m sure you can think of more.
I always say, “Don’t pray for patience.” In order to have patience, you have to need patience. I would prefer not to pray for things that cause me to need patience.
Scripture says patience is a fruit of the spirit. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness” (Galatians 5:22 ESV).
Fruit is produced by fruit trees or vines. Apples come from apple trees, peaches from peach trees, figs from fig trees, and so on. But if the tree isn’t healthy, it won’t produce fruit.
If patience is a fruit of the Spirit, how do I get it? I guess I need the Spirit in me. As Christians, we have the Holy Spirit in us, but we won’t yield the fruit of patience if we aren’t spiritually healthy.
Being spiritually healthy starts with the basics of eating right which means daily doses from God’s Word. What we are putting in our hearts and minds is what will come out of our mouths and in our actions.
So seek after patience by seeking a spiritually healthy lifestyle producing the fruit of the spirit. Or, you could just pray for it.
What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment