Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Who Are You?


I have had many identities in my life. I have been one of the Wilson girls (the youngest), an employee of whatever company I worked for, Katie’s mom, Jimmy’s mom, divorced, a single mom, David’s wife, and many more. These titles and the circumstances surrounding them do not dictate who I am or what I can achieve? I am not defined by the circumstances of life.
                Scripture tells us that Gideon’s family was the weakest in Manasseh and Gideon was the least in his father’s house, yet God called him a mighty man of valor. Saul was handsome and taller than anyone else, but he was also from the tribe of Benjamin, the least of the tribes of Israel. His family was the humblest of all of their tribe. Yet God called him to be the first king if the Israelites.
When Samuel was sent to anoint David as king, God told him not to look on the appearance or the height of his stature. What a contrast David must have been to that of Saul’s appearance. When Samuel came to see Jesse and his sons, they didn’t even introduce him to David. He was just the younger brother out keeping the sheep. Yet David was anointed king and later called a man after God’s own heart.
                God has a plan for each of us. Our circumstances and the labels assigned to us by this world make no difference in His plan. We can be from a family of poverty or wealth. We can be short or tall, plain or beautiful, unknown or well known. It doesn’t matter. What matters is who we are in Christ and our obedience to the purpose and call God has on our lives.
                Who are you? Who am I? As the song says, “I’m a child of the one true King.”

No comments:

Post a Comment