Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Drive Thru Experience

                You are sitting in a drive thru line. The car in front of you pulls up, but not quite far enough for your window to reach the speaker. The attendant inside is asking, “May I take your order?” But they can’t hear you because you are too far away. So you yell your order. Then everyone outside is looking at you. Everyone in the parking lot and surrounding cars knows your order except for the person trying to take your order. Why can’t the car in front of you just pull up a little more? Don’t they see you behind them? Does anyone else get annoyed by this? It’s like every car in the drive thru lane leaves a full car’s length between them. Just pull up already.
                The same thing happens at a red light where you are left blocking an intersection. If the cars in front of you would just pull up 6 inches each, you wouldn’t be blocking the person that is staring at you from the cross street waiting for you to get out of their way. Just pull up already.
                You might be thinking I lack patience, but the real issue is control. I know how far each car should pull up and how they should merge and how they should park. My way is best. If you don’t believe me, ask my husband.
                So I’m driving through my Bible study and God says, “Stop”. This is one area I relinquish control. I stop. I’m in the middle of a Bible study about my weakness and God’s strength, and He keeps bringing me back to control. Mine, not His. However, it should be His, not mine. Wait a minute. I was hoping to learn how to have God’s strength in place of my weakness.
                So I stop and listen. Perhaps control is my weakness. Along with the many benefits being in control can have, God says it is also my weakness. I love to plan and organize and problem solve. Those things are great--unless I plan and organize and problem solve God right out of the picture. He wants to be my planner, my organizer, and my problem solver.
                What is your pet peeve? Is it the drive thru line, the traffic circle merge, the empty coffee pot, or the toilet paper rolled the wrong way? What can God teach you through your day to day routines? Give Him control.

2 comments:

  1. My pet peeve is when people say the word "freaking". We all know what that word replaces and I think substituting it with "freaking" is equally wrong.

    This post was one of my favorites, Donna. Hugs from Oklahoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denise. Love and miss you . Let me know when you are in town. Hugs back to you!

    ReplyDelete