Thursday, April 24, 2014

Experiencing Loss

A coworker and friend just stopped by my office to let me know about another lady at work whose mom passed away today. I know what it’s like to lose your mom. My mom passed away about 6 months ago, and I feel like I am doing well with my loss. It’s something you begin to prepare for, although you don’t desire it, when your mom is almost 89 years of age. But talking about this lady’s loss brought back fresh sorrow for my mom. Tears welled unexpectedly.
My own daughter’s dad (my ex-husband) passed away a few weeks after my mom. I think part of my strength in losing my mom was the fact that I was 53 and my daughter was losing her dad at only 25 years of age. I could be strong for her because it somehow seemed her loss was greater, but it wasn’t. When we lose a parent, or anyone close, the sorrow and grief is personal. The healing we have is that of our hope in Christ Jesus. I cannot imagine the pain for those that do not know Christ as their Savior.
I have been reading II Corinthians this month. One of my favorite verses is in chapter 1 verses 3 and 4, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”  
While I have read this verse and shared it many times, I don’t know that I’ve truly thought about what it means to become that comfort to someone else. This past week I read in Chapter 7 how Paul was comforted by the coming of Titus and how they were both comforted and refreshed by the Corinthians. God showed me how His comfort takes many shapes and forms. He comforts us with His peace that surpasses our understanding, He comforts us through other people, and He comforts us through circumstances. Whatever we need, He knows, and He brings that comfort when we look to Him.
Please pray for my friend and her family and also pray that God will use me to bring comfort to her. In this life, we will have trouble, grief and sorrow; but He has overcome.
“So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory” (I Corinthians 14:54).

No comments:

Post a Comment