Beauty is judged first and foremost by our five senses. We are influenced by what we see, hear, smell, taste, and touch. What is modeled for us by others as beautiful influences how we interpret those sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and touches.
While our five senses influence whether or not others perceive us as physically beautiful, our spiritual beauty has more to do with how we perceive others.
Here are my five steps to spiritual beauty.
- See others through the lens of God’s love. For God so loved the world. We are all sinners, and Christ died for all because of His great love for all. If God loves us, we ought to love one another.
- Hear what others are saying. Take time to listen and hear what others need in their life.
- Smell. Inhale the need and exhale the gift. Ephesians 5:2 tells us that Christ gave Himself for us as an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet smelling aroma. Philippians 4:18 tells us that Paul received gifts from the Philippians which he said were a sweet smelling aroma and well pleasing to God. Give to others as a sweet smell to God.
- Taste the Word of God. Scripture says to taste and see that the Lord is good and that His words are sweeter than honey. Meditate on the Word, and let it nourish your body.
- Touch a life. Throughout the gospels, Jesus touched others. He used touch to heal physically and emotionally. Make it a goal to touch another life for Him. Esteem others higher than yourself, and pour what God gives you into the life of another.
May our adornment not just be outward in how others see us, but inward in how we see others.
See, hear, smell, taste, and touch. Love through His eyes, listen with His ears, give as a sweet smell to please God, taste and meditate on His word, and pour what He gives you into another.
These five steps will increase your spiritual beauty.
How have you found spiritual beauty in your life? Share your thoughts below.