Thursday, September 18, 2014

New Shoes


Who doesn’t need a new pair of shoes after a bad day or week at work or home? Sometimes I think I could use a new pair every weekend. I love shoes, but I have a hard-to-fit foot. My husband tells me to buy what I want, because he knows I have a hard time finding it in my size. 

But are new shoes really what I want? Having new shoes or clothes makes me feel better for the moment. Yet that moment is soon short-lived. The next week rolls around and the same problems exist. Somehow even a new pair of shoes isn’t enough to stomp out whatever is messing up my day. 

Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
Even children want shoes that light up.

Luke 1:79 “. . . to guide our feet into the way of peace.”
Which woman wouldn’t want a pair of shoes that bring peace?

Romans 10:15 “. . . How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”
News shoes are supposed to make our feet beautiful.

Ephesians 6:15 “and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace.”  
New shoes give us that spark that makes us feel like we are ready for anything. 

Isn’t this part of what we are looking for when we buy shoes after a bad day? We are looking for something to distract us from our problems and make us feel better. We need peace in the midst of our circumstances. Even my cute polka dot shoes don’t give light and bring lasting peace. And lasting peace is what we really need. 

So go ahead and buy that new pair of shoes at the mall, but remember that the better choice for shoes is putting on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. It is in the treasures of your spiritual feet sharing your faith and bringing peace, not your physical feet wearing a new pair of shoes. 

When was the last time you bought shoes to feel better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment