Monday, December 29, 2014

3 Steps to Your Best New Year’s Resolution

I’ve been thinking about New Year Resolutions. I love to plan and set goals, and this is the time of year conducive to this type of planning. 

I’ve read the books and listened to the podcasts about setting goals. I’ve learned I should think about where I want to be in 5 years or 10 years and work backwards by setting 1 year goals, quarterly goals, and monthly goals to place myself on track to achieving those long term goals. 

So I began thinking of the different areas of life where I would set my goals this year (spiritual, physical, financial, family, career, etc.). When I thought about where I would start with my Bible reading plan, it occurred to me that perhaps the question each year shouldn’t be, “Where do I want to be in a year or more, or what do I want to accomplish?” Instead, shouldn’t the question be, “God, where do You want me to be, and what do You want to accomplish through me?” 

In light of this, I thought I would start at the beginning in Genesis 1:1. But instead of quoting this verse, the one that I began to recite was another that talked about beginnings. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God” (John 1:1). 

As I opened my Bible and read through John 1:1-4, three steps to setting goals emerged. 

1. Christ first.
John 1:1-2 tells us Christ was in the beginning with God and is God. Therefore Christ should come first in everything I do or plan to do.
2. Follow His lead.
John 1:3 tells us nothing was made without Him. So why would I want to set goals without Him?
3. Look for the light.
John 1:4 tells us life comes from Him, and this life is light. Question to ask. Does His light shine through this goal for my life? 

So my New Year’s Resolution for 2015 is to set goals using this process. They might not all be set by January 1, but as they progress, each one will shine light on the next. The Resolution is from John 1:1-4. The goals and results will follow. 

Maybe not the three steps you were expecting. It wasn’t what I was expecting. Have you set any goals for 2015 or made any resolutions? 

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men” (John 1:1-4). 

No comments:

Post a Comment