Thursday, April 9, 2015

Time Management - Does God Care? Part 3 of 5

The second time management alarm is being prepared to be flexible.

I don’t like wearing shoes. I don’t wear shoes at home, and I drive barefoot. I’ve been known to grab my shoes on the way out the door and put them on when I get to my destination. My son played soccer when he was younger, and I drove him to his games. One particular day, we were in a hurry and ran out the door to drive to his game about 45 minutes from our house. Once we got there, he grabbed his things and ran out onto the field for warm ups. As I reached for my shoes, I discovered they weren’t there. They were sitting by the door at home. So there I sat barefoot on the bleachers in my jeans and a jacket as a cold front moved in. Needless to say, I was a little embarrassed. Things like this happen when we are in a hurry.

God is a God of order. In Genesis 1, creation was orderly. Scripture tells us God is not a god of confusion and all things should be done decent and in order. It also tells us to be diligent and do our best.

As our ongoing example, Jesus was prepared. We see Him as a boy in the temple listening and asking questions. Scripture tells us He increased in wisdom and in favor with God. He spent 40 days in the wilderness being tempted and preparing for His ministry. He prayed daily for God’s direction.

As Jesus was prepared for His ministry, we need to be prepared also. Part of being prepared is not wasting time. I used to have a dream that my alarm sounded, I got up, took a shower, put on my makeup, dried my hair, styled my hair, got dressed, and then my alarm sounded for real. I felt like it had all been a waste of time. I had to get up and do it all again.

Getting ready in the morning is something we have to do over again every day, but it isn’t a waste of time. We all have things in our lives that do waste time. The biggest waste of time is disobedience. Jonah wasted 3 days in the belly of the fish. He knew His purpose, but he wasted time due to his disobedience. This relates to the first alarm of not only knowing what God wants us to do, but then being obedient to do it.

God wants our time to be His. While we should go into each day prepared, the most important thing we can do is to be flexible to the leading of the Holy Spirit. We don’t start the day saying, “God, here are my plans. Please bless them.” Instead we start the day saying, “God, here is my day. I am prepared, but rearrange it for your glory.”

Following God’s plan means being flexible to the leading of the Holy Spirit. It is a balance of being prepared and flexibility. We can’t be flexible to God’s plans without first being prepared.


No comments:

Post a Comment