Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Climbing the Mountain

I’m at a writer’s conference this week in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. The conference center is built on the side of a mountain. Our accommodations are near the top of the property, but each day we descend to the dining hall for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

After being thoroughly nourished with great food, we once again have to climb up the mountain to attend classes. While there are a few elevators that can break up the climb, I have decided to climb up the inclines and trek up the stairs for exercise. At the top of every set of stairs, I round the corner to another set. Several times a day, I am reminded that I am from Texas as I huff and puff up the mountain side. 



As I ascended to the mountain top this morning after breakfast, it struck me how similar this is to our walk with God. The mountain top highs we experience with God are breathtaking, but it is in the climb that we are fed, nourished, and sustained. We cannot remain on the mountain top forever. We must descend again into the valley for growth, which gives us the strength to once again climb the mountain into His presence.

One of the greatest benefits of climbing the mountains in our lives is learning that the more we seek God’s presence on the mountain, the more we come to realize He is with us in the valley and giving us strength for the next climb.



And so now I am once again off to class. So blessed for the wisdom and knowledge God is imparting through the faculty here at Blue Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment