Sunday, October 16, 2016

Are You Content or Complacent?

Are you content? Yes or no? 

Before you answer, realize that both answers are right and wrong. It all depends on the definition of contentment. 

The apostle Paul wrote, “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” (Philippians 4:11) and also “Now godliness with contentment is great gain” (I Timothy 6:6). 

Does this mean if we are content, we are happy with where we are and never strive for more? Or does it mean we are thankful? It’s actually a perfect condition where we have all sufficiency independent of external circumstances. I think of it kind of like joy. The joy of the Lord is not dependent on happiness. 

Many times in our spiritual lives we look at scriptures such as these and claim to be content, but that is just a crutch for complacency. We get by with our Sunday spiritual nourishment.  We only pray when we have an immediate need. A daily devotional book replaces personal time in God’s Word. We read our Bible and pray out of routine habit without thought. Are we growing spiritually?  Are we challenging ourselves? 

Paul also wrote, “Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12-14). 

Don’t allow yourself to become comfortable and satisfied with cursory routines. Press toward the goals God has for you. 

Be content, but don’t become complacent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment