Sunday, October 9, 2016

Diamond Facets

Day #9 of 31 Days to Fill Your Spiritual Jewelry Box 

Memories are recollections of the past, whether it’s an hour ago, yesterday, or fifty years ago. 

Remember when phones were plugged into a wall and had a rotary dial? I remember my first princess phone. It was dialed by pressing buttons inside the handset. Do you remember pressing the #7 on your cell phone four times for the letter “s” when texting? My kids could text with the phone in their pocket without looking. 

You might remember typing letters on a typewriter and then placing them in an envelope to mail. Or you might remember a dial up tone on your computer when connecting to your email with the familiar voice of “You’ve Got Mail”. 

Do you remember changing the channel on your TV by walking over to the set and turning a knob? Or maybe you remember watching commercials during your favorite show. 

These memories may be insignificant in the overall scheme of life, but they help make up who we are. I may remember some things you don’t and you may remember some things I don’t, but we all have memories. We also have memories of God's faithfulness in our life. If you have no memories, scripture has them for you. 

We have Joshua’s memories. We have David’s memories. We have Paul’s memories. They are all recorded for us in scripture. Romans 15:4 says “whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scripture might have hope.” 

Joshua remembered the example of Moses, God leading Moses, past miracles, and God’s provision. He had a reference point. God reminded Joshua “as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5) 

David remembered God’s faithfulness in 1 Samuel 17:37 before defeating Goliath. He said, "The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” 

Paul gives a list of sufferings and perils he went through, and then in 2 Corinthians 12:9 after praying for relief from his thorn in the flesh was reminded by God, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” 

Diamonds have facets cut into them to improve their appearance by allowing them to reflect light. In the same way, the cuts in our lives cause facets that can be used by God to allow Christ’s light to be reflected in us. 

We are told to remember God’s faithfulness. 

Ps 20:7 “Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.” 

Psalm 30:4 “Sing praise to the Lord . . . and give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.” 

My expectations and dreams were shattered during my first marriage. I had no point of reference for what I was going through. My life had been pretty uneventful in the problem category up to that point. I didn’t have the memories of God bringing ME through a similar crisis to rely on for faith. But, I did have the examples from scripture tucked into my spiritual jewelry box. God’s Word gave me the strength and comfort I needed. 

It is so important to place scripture in our hearts so that we have it at a moment’s recall when we need it for example and encouragement. 

I’d love to hear your memories of what God has done in your life encouraging your faith in Him for the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment