Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Diamonds – A Girl’s Best Friend?

So what makes diamonds a girl’s best friend? According to the song, diamonds are reliable. They don’t grow cold or lose their shape or lose their charm. When others disappoint, diamonds are a girl’s best friend. 

If the guy walks out on you, keep the diamond. Diamonds don’t cheat, they don’t lie, they don’t forget, and they don’t leave. They add bling to your life. They always sparkle and are never dull or boring. Diamonds light up a room.  Diamonds are a girl's best friend. Or are they?  

We use the word friendship loosely. We have business friends, work friends, church friends, neighbor friends, service provider friends, friends of friends, and conference friends. It’s hard to know what someone actually means when they refer to a friend. 

How many friends do you have? Facebook says I currently have 536. I like Facebook. This social media venue has made it possible for me to reconnect with friends I lost touch with over the years. 

I found a friend from elementary school that I hadn't spoken to in many years. She was a good childhood friend that had a significant impact on my life. I found a friend from 6th grade that now lives in New Zealand. I’ve been able to reacquaint myself with old friends and keep up with their lives through postings and pictures. 

My church youth group was unusually close and has been able to reconnect and keep up with each other and our families through Facebook. We have planned get-togethers, attended funerals, and provided prayer support for each other due to this connection. I have renewed friendships and been able to share in others' experiences that have both strengthened my faith and rejuvenated my prayer life. 

I have also developed accountability relationships and prayer partners with friends I have met at writing or speaking conferences. This wouldn’t be possible, at least not as easily, if it weren’t for today’s technology. 

These are all friends but not necessarily best friends. 

Merriam-Webster has a dictionary for English language learners that defines a friend as a person you like or enjoy being with. So it stands to reason that your best friend would be the one that you like best or enjoy being with best. 

An urban dictionary defines a best friend as the first person you think of when making plans. 

In John 15 Jesus talks about His friends and why they were His friends. 

This weekend I’m having a slumber party with my best friend. We’re going to hang out, watch a movie, play games, stay up late, take selfies, maybe make a craft, and leave our mark on someone else in some way (in high school this meant wrapping houses, but I don’t think we’ll go there). 

You may know my best friend. We sang about this friend as children. You probably know, but if you don’t, my best friend is Jesus. He can be your best friend too. 

I can’t wait to share my slumber party moments with you next week. Maybe you can have one too. 

This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.” – John 15:12-14 

No comments:

Post a Comment