Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Expressing Thanks - 5 Do's and Do Not's

Day #4 - 31 Days to Fill Your Spiritual Jewelry Box

How many thank you notes have you written over the years? Have you ever forgotten to send one? I have. 

Forgetting to send a note doesn’t mean I’m not thankful, but the act of writing the note makes me stop and recognize the other person’s thoughtfulness. It takes the feeling of thanks one step further into an action. A written note also strengthens the relationship with the other person. 

Sometimes I struggle with putting my thanks into words. I also sometimes struggle with putting my thanks into words in my prayers. But an imperfect prayer from the heart is better than a perfect prayer never voiced. 

To help in our prayers of thanksgiving, here are 5 Do’s and Do Not’s. 
  1. Just as we send a thank you note as soon as possible, we should send our prayers of thanksgiving to God as soon as possible. Don’t wait until tonight or tomorrow to try and remember why you want to give thanks. Do it now. 
  2. Thank you notes should be handwritten simply. Our thanksgiving should be in our own words. Don’t try to sound like someone else. 
  3. A thank you note says something nice about the specific gift or gesture. Same things with our prayers. Don’t generalize. Do get specific in your thanksgiving to God. 
  4. Many times a thank you note will include how a gift will be used or why it is important to you. God already knows, but prayer is our communication building our relationship with Him. Tell Him why you are thankful for His blessings. 
  5. Don’t forget the closing. Thank you notes close with a “Thank you again”, “Sincerely”, or “Love”. I think it only appropriate to express our love for God after our thanksgiving. 

In Luke 17:11-19 Jesus healed ten men, but only one took the time to come back and thank Him. I believe the other nine were also thankful (how could they not be?), but they didn’t take the time to express their thanks to Jesus. 

What are you thankful for and why? Don’t tell me. Take some time, and tell God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment