Friday, October 14, 2016

Is It Empty?

Do you fear empty containers?

When the toilet paper is almost (but not quite) gone, my husband throws away the roll and starts a new one. Our bathroom trash can is full of toilet paper rolls with several sheets of paper still on them. I could unroll what’s left and make a new roll.

When jars of peanut butter or hot sauce or bottles of shampoo or anything else are almost empty, my husband leaves them on the shelf and opens a new one. Before long we could have 5 jars of peanut butter lining the shelf with a tablespoon or two in each.

I think perhaps my husband has a fear of empty containers.

He also doesn’t unload the dishwasher. I’m sure this has nothing to do with my fussing over not being able to find anything the times he tries.

And he also has a need to fill the car with gas when it gets below half a tank.

But perhaps my husband sets a good example. There is one container that we should never let become empty.

Our spiritual jewelry box.

We need to fill the jewelry box in our heart with treasures from scripture on a daily basis. As we walk through each day, we can pull out what we need for every encounter on our path. If we aren’t filling it daily, we might find it empty just when we need it most.

When we are feeling spiritually full, the temptation is to slack off. Don’t do it. Don’t slack off. It’s better to overflow spiritually onto those around us than come up empty in a time of crisis.

So do you have a fear of empty containers? Hopefully your spiritual jewelry box never runs dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment