Saturday, October 15, 2016

Is it Hopeless?

In Jeremiah 18:11, God tells Jeremiah, “Now therefore, speak to the men of Judah and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord: “Behold, I am fashioning a disaster and devising a plan against you. Return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” 

I don’t know about you, but I think I would straighten up. 

In verse 12, the people respond by saying, “That is hopeless! So we will walk according to our own plans, and we will every one obey the dictates of his evil heart.”  

My first thought was, “how could they blatantly decide to reject God and follow their own ways? They were intentionally walking away from God.” As I read further and also read other passages, I realized this is us. 

They felt it was hopeless. How many times do we feel like a situation is hopeless? Things are so bad that not even God can fix them. And even if He can, why would He? We must take matters into our hands and figure it out and solve the problem ourselves. After all, it is hopeless unless we do it ourselves and follow our own hearts. 

We aren’t that different today than the disobedient Israelites in the Old Testament. 

This could be our personal life or it could be a burden for our country. Things are never hopeless. Sometimes God has something for us to do, and other times He is just waiting for us to get out of the way and let Him handle it. 

Remember to do your part. In our upcoming election, I will vote. I will not vote for a spiritual leader, since there isn't one running. But I will vote for the one that I believe will provide opportunity to lead our country to better values. And if I cannot see that in either one, I will look at their running mates and cast my vote for the one I can best support there. But I will vote. 

Things are not hopeless. God still sees. God still hears. God still answers prayer. And God still expects us to do what He has called us to do individually. “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them” Ephesians 2:10. 

Do your part, and do what He has called you to do. And then let God do the rest. 

In Acts 3 Paul said, “I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.” They did their part and God did His part. 

Back in Jeremiah, God told them their part was to “return now every one from his evil way, and make your ways and your doings good.” But they chose to do it their way alone. 

Do you have a “hopeless” situation? Ask God what your part is, take that step of faith, and then let God handle it from there. Sometimes He is just waiting for us to get out of the way. 

“I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I do hope” Psalm 130:5. 

As long as we have the Word of God, we have hope. Place hope in your spiritual jewelry box. 

“Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work” 2 Thess. 2:16. 

No comments:

Post a Comment