Friday, October 7, 2016

Listen. Tune In. Don't Tune Out.

Day #7 of 31 Days to Fill Your Spiritual Jewelry Box

The L in PEARL is for Listen.

You may have seen billboards on the highway with messages signed by “God”.  They are great reminders to place our focus on Him. Wouldn’t it be great if we could pray and then get in our car and see a billboard from God with His answer just for us? That seems so easy. 

Well, God has already given us more than a billboard. We have a collection of 66 books called the Bible which are God’s words to us. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us God’s word answers any questions we have. It thoroughly equips us for every good work. 

Prayer is two-way communication. We talk – God listens. God talks – we listen. We give to God – we receive from God. For most of us, we want to receive, but we don’t wait to receive. 

The word Listen is a verb. A verb denotes action. So what is listening? It’s paying thoughtful attention or being alert to catch an expected sound. 

I love the explanation of an expected sound. If something is expected, you are waiting for it. We should listen, wait, and expect to hear from God. 
  • God speaks to us through His word. When we are abiding in God’s word and have hidden it in our heart, He speaks to us by bringing to mind what we need in a given situation. 
  • He also speaks to us as we read and study scripture. I can read the same scripture at different times, and the same words speak a different message to my heart. The meaning of the passage doesn't change, but the application in my life may.
  • God also speaks through our surroundings. Psalm 19:1 says, “The heavens declare the glory of God.” In the beginning, God spoke the world into existence. At the sound of His voice, His spoken word, the earth was formed.

Once my daughter learned to talk, she never stopped. Sometimes driving down the road, she would start talking and continue talking and talking and talking. I became so accustomed to her constant chatter that many times I tuned her out. I didn’t make a conscious decision to stop listening. I wasn’t unwilling to listen. I would just think about other things or listen to the radio and not think I missed anything important. 

Sometimes I tune out God. I drive down the road of life thinking about other things and don’t listen for His voice. It’s not that I’m unwilling to listen. I’m just thinking about other things and don’t realize I’m missing anything important. 

Are you expecting to hear from God today? I'm expecting to hear from Him, and I’d love to hear from you also. I welcome your thoughts.

“Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning, for in You do I trust. Cause me to know the way in which I should walk, for I lift up my soul to You” (Psalm 143:8). 

No comments:

Post a Comment