Thursday, October 6, 2016

Release - Just Let Go

Day #6 of 31 Days to Fill Your Spiritual Jewelry Box 

You may have heard the story about a little boy who accidentally drops his favorite marble inside his mom’s favorite vase. He carefully reaches his arm deep into the vase and grasps the marble. As he lifts his fist with the marble clutched in his palm, his hand gets stuck. The neck of the vase is not large enough to remove his fist. Mom and dad try twisting his arm and rubbing lotion on his arm, but to no avail. It’s stuck. 

As they begin to argue about whether or not to break the vase, the little boy’s sister arrives and solves the problem. She tells her brother to let go of the marble. Once his fist is relaxed, his arm slips out as easily as it slipped in. He just had to let go. 

Sometimes I’m like this. I hold on tight to problems and try to solve things on my own. Only after I can’t solve it, I remember to pray. I expect God to fix things, but He can’t until I release my grip. I have to open my fist and let go. 

The R in our peaRls is for Release. 

After praising God, expressing thanks, and acknowledging God, we should be at a point where we are ready to let go and release our cares to Him. When we do, He comes along beside us and gives us strength, rest, and reassurance. Our part is surrender. Give everything (Every Thing) to God. Don’t take it back. 

In Daniel, chapter 3, King Nebuchadnezzar set up an image of gold that the people were commanded to fall down and worship or they would be thrown into a burning fiery furnace. Three men refused. 

The king gave them one last chance and asked ‘Who is the god who will deliver you from my hands?” Their reply was that their God was able to deliver them, and even if He didn’t, they still would not serve the king’s false gods or worship the gold image he had set up. They released the situation to God either way. They were thrown into the fiery furnace; but God rescued them, and God was glorified. 

In Acts 12 Peter was in jail. The church was praying earnestly for him, but Peter was sleeping. He must have released the situation to God to be sleeping. In fact it’s in 1 Peter 5:7 that Peter writes for us to cast all our cares upon God, because He cares for us. How many times have I not been able to sleep due to worry when I only needed to release? 

Psalm 120:1 says “In my distress I cried to the Lord, and He heard me.” Cry out to God with your prayer requests, and then release them to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment