Wednesday, October 26, 2016

The Lord is My ???

In Psalm 23:1, David said, “The Lord is my shepherd.” He didn’t say the Lord is my tentmaker or the Lord is my builder. He had firsthand experience in being a shepherd. He knew what a shepherd did and how a shepherd cared for His sheep. 

Most of us have been taught about a shepherd and his sheep in order to truly understand the references to God as our shepherd.  But what if David weren’t a shepherd? What other analogy might he have used? 

I know what my role is at work and where my strengths are in everyday life. The Lord is not only my shepherd (because I have learned what that means); He is also my manager, my planner, my organizer, my project manager, and my life controller. These are areas that I know firsthand. 

Here is one way this speaks to me. It's Psalm 23 from my life.

The Lord controls my life, I shall not worry.
He makes me sleep peacefully at night.
He leads me beside fulfillment. He restores my soul.
He leads me down paths He has prepared, because He knows best.
Even though I walk through the valley of the unknown,
I will not fear, for You are with me.
Your omniscient GPS and Your compass comfort me.
You prepare a plan before me in the presence of the chaos around me.
You anoint me with love, and my heart overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. 

I challenge you to write this for yourself. Is God your financial planner, your caregiver, your home manager, your teacher, your assistant, your dispatcher, or your guide? 

Sometimes the hardest area to surrender to God is the area you know best. What is your career, or what are your strengths? Let God be those things to you, just as God was a shepherd to David. 

Leave a comment, and let me know what God is to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment