Monday, October 31, 2016

Trick or Treat

We always have a lot of trick or treaters in our neighborhood. For the last 14 years we have had between 60 and 100 each year. So, of course, I stock up on the candy. 

The dilemma comes in not eating the candy I purchase. My solution? I only buy the candy I don’t like. I won’t eat what I don’t like. If I buy my favorites, I will have to just eat one “of each”. 

The trick is that I can just eat one. Not likely. The tricks in life are the same. Just one look. Only one snide remark. Only one tidbit of gossip. One small white lie. Those are all tricks which turn into sin. 

The treat comes from God’s word. “God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it” (1 Corinthians 10:13). 

Sin seems pleasurable for a moment, but it results in death. The trick of the devil.

The treat is that there is something better for us. Life through Jesus Christ.

The difference between the trick or treat is found in God’s Word.

So today you can choose to trick or treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment