Saturday, October 8, 2016

Wear Your Pearls

For my 50th birthday, I decided to treat myself to a makeover with an image consultant. I had never been willing to spend the money on something like this, but coming face to face with the momentous occasion of turning 50, I decided to splurge. 

The makeover included a change in makeup, a recommended hairstyle, a color analysis, and a full body analysis. They removed my current makeup, pulled back my hair, analyzed my skin and facial complexion, poked and prodded, and then measured every inch of my body. I was pampered and given new makeup custom blended just for me. 

At the end of the day, I received a customized binder to take home with all of their recommendations including clothing types, hair styles, and even jewelry choices designed just for me. It was fun. 

The professional consultation changed some of my preconceived ideas. I came to terms with the fact that while black is slimming, it really isn’t my best color. 

I like to think of God as my own personal image consultant. Every day He gives me the guidance I need for each decision regarding my inner beauty. One of the great things about my own personal image consultant is that He is free. Jesus already paid the price. 

What we are on the inside reflects on the outside. Worry inside causes wrinkles outside, but the peace that comes from my personal image consultant smooths my wrinkled life. Physical laziness makes for weak muscles, but kneeling in prayer gives me strength. Eating junk food adds unnecessary weight to my body, but a steady diet of scripture and prayer keeps me spiritually fit. 

1 Peter 3 says “Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel—rather let it be the hidden person of the heart.” 

I don’t need an image consultant for the outside because I already have an image consultant paid for by Christ for the inside. 

In the book of Acts, Peter and John were arrested for preaching about Jesus. When they were brought before the Sanhedrin, Peter spoke with boldness proclaiming salvation through Jesus Christ. Acts 4:13 tells us, “Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.” 

Can others tell that we have been with Jesus? If not, could it be that we haven’t spent time in prayer? Open your spiritual jewelry box and pull out your pearls. Spend some time in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment