Saturday, October 1, 2016

What's A Spiritual Jewelry Box?

Think with me for a moment about your physical jewelry box. Whether it’s a small musical chest or a large cabinet, a shoebox or a safety deposit box, it’s that special place you keep treasures and jewelry.  

Now think about the most treasured item in your jewelry box. Is it your wedding ring? Is it a necklace with precious stones, a diamond bracelet, or a strand of pearls? Maybe it’s something which belonged to your great grandmother and has been passed down generation to generation.

I remember one Mother’s Day when my two children wanted to buy me a special gift. They had $20 between them and went to the mall. They found two beautiful diamond rings for only $10 a piece and were so excited to buy them. These rings are quite stunning, and quite . . . LARGE . . .  While I don’t wear them (they don’t fit and my children would now be embarrassed if I did), they are two of the most special items in my jewelry box.

As a child, I had a pink powder box where I kept my special treasures. I also had a spiritual jewelry box I wasn’t aware of. So do you. But mine was empty.

When I chose to make Jesus my Lord, I then had a choice of what to put inside my spiritual jewelry box. We each have that same choice. We can open it later and find a couple of scriptures side by side with rocks of doubt and worry and struggles . . . OR . . . we can fill it with treasures.

As Christian women our most treasured possession is not our physical jewelry but God’s word, so it only makes sense to place it in our spiritual jewelry box. Psalm 119:11 says, “Your word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You.” But we can’t hide God’s Word if we aren’t in it. 


Growing up I began to fill mine with these treasures. Then: 

On days I was weak and needed faith, I opened it to find God’s strength. He said, “Donna, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” 

On days I didn’t feel loved, I opened it to find God’s love. I found “Nothing can separate me from the love of God.” 

When worry and doubt crept in, I opened it to find peace. God said, “Donna, my peace which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind.” 

When all seemed lost, I opened it to find hope. He said, “Donna, you can abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” 

When disappointment came and eventually my dreams were shattered, I opened my spiritual jewelry box. And it overflowed with what I needed. It can be the same for you. But those things won’t be there if you don’t place them there intentionally. 

1 Peter 3 says, “Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart.” 

Our inner adornment comes from what is inside our spiritual jewelry box. Scripture tells us that while others see our outward appearance, God sees our heart. We can put all kinds of physical jewelry on the outside to look pretty, but what we put in our spiritual jewelry box is seen by God and reflects like beautiful jewels to others on the outside. 

Filling your Spiritual Jewelry Box is not just reading the Bible or memorizing scripture. It’s opening your heart to what God has to say to you through His word.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts and how you are filling yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment