Monday, February 13, 2017

My Love Story

I’m sure you are expecting to hear my love story with my husband, so I'll share it.

My best friends in high school were those from my church youth group. Many of us have kept in touch on and off over the years. There was a guy named David in my youth group that I dated once, but he went out with one of my best friends more than me. After high school, we lost touch.

Fast forward twenty-something years. I had gone through a divorce, my children were at their dad’s for the weekend, and I still had difficulty with them being away. I was home alone watching “You’ve Got Mail” when I remembered an email I had received from this David guy through Classmates.com. I had replied to him and never heard back. So much for past friendships. For some reason (God) I went to my computer, pulled up his email, and reread the bottom telling me not to reply but to redirect my response to a different email address. His email address on the Classmates site was no longer current.

So I replied to this David guy and immediately heard back from him. We started talking and organized a reunion of our church youth group. As you may have figured out, this David guy is now my husband. I guess it was love at second site.

We emailed and talked a lot during the time of planning our reunion and got reacquainted. As things progressed, we both agreed that love is a decision. It’s a choice. While we fell in love, we knew the feeling might not always be there but our commitment to each other would be. I am still in love with him, even on days I might not feel like it. I can’t always trust my feelings, so I choose to love him on days when I might not feel like it.

I have another love story that makes the one with my husband possible. I found the one who loves me more than I could ever love him. I learned as a child that God loved me so much that He sent His Son Jesus to bridge the gap between us when my sins were separating us. This Jesus guy paid for my shortcomings with His life, and then God raised Him from the dead. You guessed it. Jesus and I have a love relationship.

I love Jesus, but He loved me first. My love is a decision I made as a child and a choice I continue to make today. Some days I don’t feel loved, but His love letters to me assure me that I am.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

“We love Him because He first loved us” (1 John 4:19).

So what is your love story? Do you have a love story with your spouse? More important, do you have a love story with Jesus?


3 comments:

  1. God still writes great love stories. Thanks for sharing yours with finding your husband and when you took hold of the Lord Jesus'loving hand as a child. Share on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God still writes great love stories. Thanks for sharing yours with finding your husband and when you took hold of the Lord Jesus'loving hand as a child. Share on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, I appreciate your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete